The Eagles Down the Rockets
A little over a week ago, I decided to get a pass for the Toledo game. I had a feeling that tonight’s game would be important for the Eagles in terms of getting home court advantage. I wasn’t 100% sure though because I wasn’t sure if they would be able to overcome the Huskies. They did manage to overcome the Huskies and set the stage for a chance tonight. I think one of my problem’s with this year’s team is their inconsistency. One night they look like they can take on anyone. Another night, they look like the Washington Generals. On some nights, they manage to do both.
So the question for me was which Eagles team would show up. At the beginning of the game, it looked like it was going to be a long night and then the Eagles awakened. Once they did that, they weren’t looking back. Once again, the scoring was spread around. Which leads us to our spaghetti western music.
1. Eastern got the necessary production out of their stars. Raven Lee scored 26 points and was pretty much the catalyst for the waking up. Tim Bond and Willie Mangum each put up 13 points. James Thompson put up 12 points. They got some clutch free throws from Brandon Nazione and Raven Lee.
2. Tim Bond got 7 steals. I’m not sure how many of those led to points but I do know that one of them led to a pretty impressive dunk.
3. James Thompson IV put the exclamation point on his freshman season. He nearly got a double-double again tonight.
1. James Thompson IV also put his team in a bad spot. He got his 4th foul pretty early and sat out at a key point in the game. As I said before, with some discipline, I think he could be a special player.
2. Shooting was sub 500. It seemed like many of their shots were rushed but I think that’s been a complaint of mine before.
3. I’ve never shot at Savage Arena before and I can’t say that it was a very pleasant experience. In the first half, I was next to dance team and that kind of limited where I could shoot from. In the second half, I was next to the Blue Crew. But I guess that comes with the territory.
1. It seemed like Eastern came out of the gate slow. It took them about half of the first half to awaken. Fortunately, they weren’t too far out of it at that point. That being said, given that most of the team should be returning next year, I can’t wait.
2. Normally I would say the refs but they seemed to be pretty decent tonight.