Skip to content

Eastern Michigan Beats Kent State Basketball

February 13, 2016

It seems that Eastern has reached that do or die phase of the season again. When you lose games that you should have won, you find yourself in the position. The sad part is that I don’t think that this is a bad team, they are just frustrating to watch. It seems like they have a tough time sealing the game up. It almost seemed like Kent State was about to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat but then the Eagles woke up and prevented that.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Good:
1. Five Eastern players scored in double digits today. It seemed like there was support from all over the court today.
2. James Thompson IV gets another double-double today. I’m not sure how many this is for the season but it’s alot. It’s hard to believe that he’s a freshman. If Murphy can find someone to compliment him in the off season, good things could be in store for next year.
3. Eastern was able to make some key free throws.
The Bad:
1. Like I said in the opening crawl, it doesn’t seem like Eastern can seal the deal sometimes. Many of these games are like watch Todd Jones for the Tigers. Most of the time, it works but many times it’s a dumpster fire in the process.
2. Murphy didn’t go deep in his bench today. He only played 7 but then again, when you have 5 folks scoring double digits, why go to the bench?
3. Shooting from the field was under 50%.
The Ugly:
1. They were 1 for 14 from three point range. It wasn’t like they weren’t getting open shots or anything like that. Their shots just weren’t going in. If they had a few more, the game could have been a blow out.
2. They were a little over 60% at the charity stripe. It seems like most games, these are automatic for them but it wasn’t in this game. I’m not too worried though.
3. The refs. About the only good thing I can say here is that it seemed like they were consistently bad for both sides.

8 Comments leave one →
  1. EMUinRVA permalink
    February 14, 2016 8:08 am

Your recap is in line with what I saw watching the game on ESPN3 yesterday. Especially agree that the officiating was bad. The same was true during their collapse against Buffalo (not that it cost them the game). Wonder if this is typical of the MAC, mid-majors in general, or if these games are anomalies?

• Ken permalink
      February 14, 2016 10:29 am

Sadly, I wish those refs were anomalies but they are not. For the most part it affects both teams, so I’m not too concerned but there are occasions (like the Ball State game), where the calls go against Eastern.

2. February 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Ken,

Has coach Murphy thrown Lamotta Stone into the “fire” much? Do you think he is the point guard of the future at EMU? Maybe he is the complement to JT4. Happy to see they’ve won 3 of the last 4. Perhaps they’re improving. I like to see JT4 get freshman of the year in the MAC and MAX to the MAC.

1970 EMU ALUMNUS

• Ken permalink
      February 14, 2016 1:49 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen him at all this year. There are about three or four guys that are always at the end of the bench but they are always in sweats (or warmup gear). He’s probably one of those guys. But I definitely think they could use a 6′ something or larger guy to compliment JT4. Nazione is good but he’s done this year.

3. Ken Barna permalink
    February 16, 2016 10:56 am

Dear Ken,
    Lamonta Stone played in the game against Oakland, so there is no red-shirt for him.

• Ken permalink
      February 16, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks.

4. Eric Sturgis permalink
    February 19, 2016 6:59 am

I noticed that Ray Lee has not been playing much. He only played 17 minutes against Ohio, I have heard rumors that he might be considering transferring for his 5th year, or trying to go pro, anyone else have any info?

• Ken permalink
      February 19, 2016 9:11 am

I haven’t heard anything. If he’s trying to go pro, he seems to be going about it wrong. 5th year somewhere else may be a possibility.