Skip to content

The Night of the Long Balls

February 2, 2016

This was a night to remember. Once the Eagles got their first point, they never lost the lead again. At one point in the game they were leading by as much as 35 points. They would go on to defeat the RedHawks of Miami 94 to 69.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Since I’ve been using the format, I will continue:
The Good:
1. Raven Lee looked phenomenal. He would score 46 points tonight which I believe was his career best and only 1 off from the Eastern Record but it does beat a record for the Convocation Center. I would like to know where this Raven has been all season. Did I mention he scored all these points in 24 minutes?
2. James Thompson still looks like the real deal. He did not manage to get another double-double but he came pretty close with 15 points and 8 rebounds.
3. Ty Toney would also put up double digits with 14 points.
The Bad:
1. This was a pretty solid effort, so I will forgo this section tonight.
The Ugly:
1. Miami seemed to employ a basketball version of New Jersey’s trap. It seemed like they clogged up the middle. This didn’t work too well for them as they found Eastern in double bonus territory pretty early in both halves.
2. Don’t have anything else here either.

All in all, it was a pretty good night for the Eagles. I can only hope that they build on it as they go into the second half of the MAC Season.

8 Comments leave one →
  1. February 3, 2016 12:30 am

Ken,

Good to hear you felt good about this win. Wished I could have been there to watch Raven Lee get 46. James Thompson is nothing, if he’s not consistent.

1970 EMU ALUMNUS

2. Ken permalink
    February 3, 2016 9:09 am

I don’t know how bad Miami is, but they are in the MAC and they are Division I, so I’ll take a win like this. Especially given some of the recent losses.

3. February 3, 2016 5:03 pm

Ken,

I meant to say in my previous email, James Thompson IV is nothing if not consistent, a totally different meaning. James Thompson IV, you’re always consistent. We are proud of your contributions to the team.

1970 EMU ALUMNUS

• Ken permalink
      February 3, 2016 5:15 pm

Given that he’s a freshman, I can only hope he’s going to get better in the next three years.

4. February 5, 2016 2:01 pm

Hey Ken,

Earlier in the year, you seemed to be down on coach’s recruiting. How did you feel about 2016 and the 25 or so players we got.

Personally, I was excited about the 10 3 star players and the 7 or was it 8 that we got. However, the one I was really excited about was that kid from Kalamazoo Central. His name was Tyler Lyle. He looks like a real “sleeper” and a big hitter. I also liked that Dan Samuelson and Joe Keel from the Big Ten transferred here. What’s your thoughts on these developments. I don’t see much from anyone about these recruits? I was impressed with the coaches ability to get 12 defensive and 13 offensive guys weren’t you?

1970 EMU ALUMNUS

• Ken permalink
      February 5, 2016 3:23 pm

When I heard they only had about 12 guys lined up, I was down but from what I’ve heard about these guys, I’m pretty impressed.

5. February 5, 2016 7:00 pm

What did you think about Steve Nielson at 6’8″, 320 lbs. defensive tackle? He can blot out the sun and he should be able to clog up the middle as well. I watched some film on him and it looks like he can move as well. It was on the offensive side of the ball. I see they have him listed as a DT.

Hopefully he can provide some competition in practice for those offensive tackles and guards. These recruits could make us a great deal better.

I think the naysayers will come around. Coach has never had a losing season until he arrived at EMU. Hopefully that changes this year.

1970 EMU ALUMNUS