Eastern Michigan Vs. Ball State in Pictures
I’m going to get it out of the way now. I’m not a believer in the idea that refs will blow a game for a team. You can’t boil a game down to one specific incident where you can say, “Ah ha! That was the moment.” Eastern Michigan had plenty of opportunities where trips down to the basket resulted in no points. And of course, there is the occasional free throw issue. That being said, the way the game ended was very disappointing. There should have been one of two outcomes on the play in question, a foul on one of at least three Ball State players or traveling on Brandon Nazione. Sometimes I wonder if refs are so afraid of getting accused of causing a defeat that they don’t make calls that they should. And in the end, when it is a blatant non-call like this one, they affected the outcome of the game. More after the jump.
It is really disgraceful when a hard fought game like this one ends like that. The refs knew they blew it by the way they bolted out of the Convocation Center (presumably to the Huey that was waiting outside). I really don’t want to take anything away from Ball State, they did what they had to. It’s not their fault that they got a huge gift from the refs. Anyway….this isn’t completely out of my system.
1. James Thompson had his 11th Double-Double this season. Not bad for a freshman. If he can continue to improve, he will be a force to be reckoned with.
2. Ty Toney was no slouch either. His efforts led to 23 points. And it was a hard fought 23 points.
3. Brandon Nazione looked pretty good too.
1. We don’t usually say this, but Raven Lee looked pretty terrible today. He only had 12 minutes in the game and scored 5 points but more on that later.
2. Three point shooting still seems to elude the Eagles. I don’t know how many times I’d see them get the steal only to have it clank off the rim.
3. I’m sure if I put my mind to it, I could come up with a third thing.
1. The officials.
Notes from the Press Conference:
I actually went to the press conference but other people asked the questions I would have asked.
– Coach Murphy’s comment was pretty much in line with what I said above. He also added that he could send this to the league but there’s not really much they can do about it.
– When asked about Raven Lee getting yanked about halfway in the second half, he said that Raven’s defensive performance wasn’t up to his expectations. He saw too many lapses.
– He’s still proud of his guys.
All in all, I’m proud of their effort. I wish they would have been on the positive side of the equation, but those are the breaks I guess.