Skip to content

So much to talk about, and so little to say

December 10, 2015

I’ve been wondering what to talk about this week that hasn’t already been discussed. I wanted to go further in depth on the Tuition Toss, but since the athletic department wouldn’t tell me who actually paid for it, I won’t go off half-cocked on that topic.

I was also going to talk about the disaster this season has been for the football team. But, Jeremy did that much better than I probably would have. Carter wrote a great post about tonight’s preseason game for the women’s basketball team, and so it would seem that as far as the big ticket items are, I’m down to very few options.

I’m working on a column that should be in the Echo some time this week — a la Bob Wojonowski — and I don’t want to take away from that, either.

For this week, I’m going to let you, the reader, decide what aspect of Eastern Michigan athletics you want me to discuss. Reply in the comments below, or tweet me @AlWillmanSports, and the subject(s) with the most requests by 5 p.m. Thursday will be the winner(s).

Good hunting.

15 Comments
  1. EMU Sports Guru permalink
    November 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I would love to read more about the tennis squad. I saw that the duo of Martinovska and Supejova was selected as a possible alternate for the ITA nationals, but that’s about where my knowledge for this team currently ends.

2. Hunter153 permalink
    November 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Men’s bball. Non conference schedule and the new MAC Tournament layout.

• Block E permalink
      November 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Basketball:
      1. Who ARE all these guys? I recognize five names on the roster.
      2. Does Murphy’s defensive system work with only one 6-10 center, one 6-10 forward and nine 6-7 forward/guards?
      3. Odds against Detroit and Oakland.

3. Jeremy Rosenberg permalink*
    November 10, 2015 7:20 pm

One thing to followup about the tuition toss is the fact that no one mentioned the mysterious “donor” until they started catching flak. Check the emails, statements, etc. Only after the Echo article and Eagle Totem’s general lambasting of the whole concept did Geoff Larcom start talking about donors. Something seems fishy to me. Either it’s BS, more accounting shell games, or someone stepped up after the fact to shield the Athletic Department from the heat.

Looking forward to your Echo article.

4. Josh permalink
    November 10, 2015 11:51 pm

I would actually like to read more about the football team. Position by position. What do we got? Why is it a mess? People are calling for the DC’s head. Not like their job is wave their hand and “better d, make it so!” So what needs fixing? Is Tyrion Lannister playing nose? The Mountain is playing nose with horrible technique? Nitty gritty stuff that only fans of quality teams care about.

5. Ken permalink
    November 11, 2015 12:59 pm

Maybe not an Eastern specific question but in general, has college football gotten too big for its own good?

• Block E permalink
      November 11, 2015 4:11 pm

I suggest we start gaming the possibilities if the P5 decides to sever itself from mid-major football. On one hand we won’t get $850K from LSU. On the other hand we can stop trying to churn attendance.

• Ken permalink
        November 11, 2015 5:01 pm

I can actually see that happen. But then again, I see the P5 becoming the P4 and severing some of the teams that stick around to keep the aggregate GPA’s of certain conferences up.

• Block E permalink
        November 12, 2015 9:59 am

Vanderbilt, maybe. Northwestern and the entire Chicago market, never.

Of course, one of the reasons expansion looks so good is that Cable TV lets you tax everyone in your market about a buck a cable box, due to the anti-choice “package” scheme that is Cable TV. But that’s supposed to be a bad bet as more people are pushing for a la carte cable or abandoning cable altogether. The P5 may not get this bonanza forever, and if you don’t have strong revenues, then what ARE Northwestern and Maryland doing in the B1G?

6. EMU Sports Guru permalink
    November 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Also the rule changes for Women’s Basketball

7. November 12, 2015 1:43 pm

I think a good story would be the failure of the Athletics department to attract fans to games, not just football but for EMU’s more successful teams like mens/women’s basketball. Why does there seem to be a discounted between that department & the rest of the university? But I think we have discussed this on here before.

Also, I think that it would be cool if you guys covered baseball a little bit more.

Good news! I got my wife to agree to stay an extra day in Michigan before we head back to Tucson, so I can see the EMU v Detroit game! I just didn’t tell her that was the reason 🙂

• Ken permalink
      November 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Cool. I will see you there then….

• Carter Adler permalink*
      November 13, 2015 9:55 am

For myself, I will not cover baseball because it’s not a sport I have any interest in.

Even if I wanted to, I think they play a lot of weekday games, plus a lot of far-away road games that we’re probably not going to travel to and that tend not to have any broadcast. So it would be a difficult sport to cover.

• Carter Adler permalink*
      November 13, 2015 9:58 am

Speaking of travel, I’m bummed right now, because I just realized that the women’s basketball team plays at Kentucky on noon the day before Thanksgiving. I’ll be in Lexington that weekend…but not arriving until later Wednesday.

8. November 12, 2015 5:36 pm