October 19, 2011
This weekend is Homecoming, so let’s take a look at all the special activities going on.
- Spirit Photo Booth, in the Student Center from 11 AM to 2 PM, allows students to “capture your Homecoming pride on film in this year’s Spirit Photo Booth.”
- 11th Annual Staff Alumni Social, in the Student Center Ballroom from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM. “Enjoy a reception with your fellow EMU alumni and staff. The cost of the event will be $5. Contact the Office for Alumni Relations at 734.487.0250 for more information or e-mail Jessica Nietrzeba at email@example.com.”
- EMU Black Alumni Chapter – Young and Successful Event, in the Phelps-Sellers Lounge from 6 PM to 9 PM. “Young & Successful is one of EMUBA’s annual efforts aimed at supporting professional development and building excellence in EMU students. If you are interested supporting this effort or would like further information please contact Leslie Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- Homecoming Spirit Police, all day, all around campus. “Throughout the day, EMU students and employees spotted wearing non-EMU college paraphernalia will be given a “ticket”, which is a coupon to the Rec IM Pro-Shop. Those spotted wearing EMU clothing will be given a special EMU-branded prize.”
- Green & White Day encourages alumni, students, faculty, and staff to wear green and white all day, “no matter where you are in the world!”
- Tailgate Thursday, in the Student Center from 11 AM to 1 PM, invites students to visit with Swoop, cheerleaders, and members of the football team.
- Homecoming Dinner for students, faculty, and staff, from 4 PM to 8 PM in The Commons.
- Alumni Happy Hour invites alumni to mix and mingle at the Corner Brewery in Depot Town from 5:30 PM to 7:30. Appetizers will be provided, as will EMU-themed door prizes.
- Homecoming Block Party, on the Student Center Patio from 6 PM to 8 PM, followed by the Homecoming Pep Rally from 8 to 8:45 (rain or shine) in University Park (near Big Bob’s Lake House), will include games, prizes, the EMU Marching Band, and the announcement of the Homecoming Court.
- Laugh Lounge, in Student Center room 300 at 9 PM, invites students to enjoy local stand-up comedians.
- Residence Hall Decorating Contest. Judging begins at 10 AM.
- Women’s soccer vs Ball State at Scicluna Field at 3 PM. We mentioned this yesterday.
- 1960s Decade Reception, part of the “Celebrate the 60s” activities, will be at McKenny Union from 4 PM to 6 PM.
- Women’s volleyball vs Buffalo at the Convocatino Center at 7 PM.
- Salsa Night in Student Center Ballrooms A and B, from 8 PM until 11, features the music of Ozzie Rivera and The Orquestra La Inspiracion. Proceeds from the $5 admission will go toward scholarships for the Latino/Hispanic student community at EMU.
- Friday Night Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II. The movie will be shown, free, in the Student Center Auditorium, starting at 8 PM and again at 10:30.
- Class of 1961 Brunch and Medallion Ceremony, part of the “Celebrate the 60s” activities, from 9 AM to 11 AM at University House.
- Greek Alumni Chapter All-Greek Reunion, at 1 PM (yes, during the game) at Theo’s on Cross Street. Half of the $5 cover charge will benefit the Greek Alumni Scholarship Fund.
- Communication, Media and Theatre Arts Fall Gathering at 5 PM at the Tower Inn. “Catch up your CMTA friends and fellow alumni. Confirm Tower Inn attendance with the CMTA Office: 734.487.3130.”
- Boyce Avenue concert at 7 PM in Pease Auditorium. “Boyce Avenue is a Florida-based band popular for its strong acoustic roots and melodic rock sound, consists of the three brothers Alejandro, Fabian, and Daniel Manzano…Tickets are $18. For more information regarding the venue, ticket pricing or to purchase tickets go to www.emutix.com or call the EMU Ticket Office, Monday-Friday 10:00am-5:00pm at 734-487-2282.”
- Volleyball vs Akron, Dig Pink! We mentioned this yesterday.
- EMUBA Homecoming After-Party, from 9 PM to 1 AM at the Ann Arbor Mariott at Eagle Crest. Tickets are sold in advance for $15, with proceeds to benefit the EMUBA and Bernadine Newsome Denning Scholarship Funds. “For more information or to purchase tickets contact LaTonya Edwards at 313-671-7517 or email@example.com (Subject: EMUBA Homecoming).”
- Alumni and Friends Homecoming Tailgate will be at its normal spot in front of Rynearson Stadium from 11 AM to 1 PM. They’ve really outdone themselves this year, and it’s just a $3 suggested donation. For this one they’ll have “giveaways, historic EMU t-shirt sales, a caricaturist and more”. The following groups will have reserved tables: 1961 Football Team, Black Alumni Chapter, Communication, Media, & Theatre Arts Alumni Chapter, Honors College Alumni, Huron Restoration Alumni Chapter, Kappa Phi Alpha Alumni, Latino Alumni Chapter, Phi Sigma Epsilon Alumni, National Capital Area Alumni Chapter, and Theta Chi Alumni.
- EMU Rec/IM Tailgate will be in the Rynearson Stadium parking lot starting at 9:30 AM.
- Student Organization Tailgate will be west of Rynearson Stadium, across Hewitt Street, starting at 10:30 AM.
- Eastern Echo Alumni Tailgate will be in the Rynearson Stadium parking log starting at 10:30 AM.
- The Parade of Nations will be on the Olds-Marshall Track at 12:30 PM. To register to be a flag bearer or for more information, contact the Office of International Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Homecoming Football Game vs Western Michigan is at 1 PM in Rynearson Stadium. You knew this.