Skip to content

2012 men’s basketball recruit Anthony Clemmons decommits, maybe

August 25, 2011

Well, this just seems kind-of flaky. Just a week after announcing his verbal commitment to EMU and saying some nice things about the direction of the program under Rob Murphy, it seems that Anthony Clemmons has decommitted. The only sources I’m seeing for this so far are an article on Scout’s Iowa site and this tweet from Finley Fuller of The Mid-Michigan Prep News (which may be referring to the Scout article), while other sources (e.g. ESPN, Rivals) still list him as an EMU commitment. It’s possible that ESPN and Rivals just haven’t updated their sites, or it’s possible that the reports are wrong.

If he has decommitted, I think he’s hoping to get an offer from Iowa or another Big Ten program. Some reports said that Iowa had offered before he announced for EMU, but other reports suggested that he had just gotten interest from the Hawkeyes with no offer yet. I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this as the day progresses, so stay tuned for updates.

14 Comments leave one →
  1. Kenneth Barna permalink
    August 25, 2011 8:38 am

Dear cmadler,
    I can understand wanting to play in the Big Ten, however, Iowa? This is a team that ranks below wrestling, in interest, in the State of Iowa. If, Coach Murphy, is as good as I think he’s going to be, and the transfers pan out, Eastern could take it to the Hawkeyes, any day of the week. That’s what Clemmons should be thinking about.

• August 25, 2011 8:57 am

Yeah, Iowa’s men’s basketball team hasn’t been good (but let’s be honest, neither has EMU), but they are in the Big Ten, which means more games against top-tier opponents, more games on TV, and a better chance of post-season play. What annoys me is not the decision (if that’s his decision — it’s still not being reported anywhere else) but the flip-flop, but this does happen with verbal commitments; teenagers have been known to change their minds from time to time.

2. Bob Stevens permalink
    September 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Sorry but in no way, shape, or form does Wrestling rank above basketball in Iowa. Iowa has had some down years lately, yes, but Iowa was ranked by ESPN as one of the top 10 basketball programs of all time. Hardly Eastern Michigan..

• September 18, 2011 8:12 pm

I’d be surprised if wrestling rated above men’s basketball at any Division I school. That said, I’m surprised that Iowa was rated one the all-time top ten men’s basketball programs. Can you provide a link to that article?

• Robert permalink
        September 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Here’s Andy Katz’s reaction piece to the all-time top basketball programs.

• George permalink
        September 19, 2011 3:28 am

3. September 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I don’t think it was top 10, but was top 25. It was on ESPN.com

4. Kenneth Barna permalink
    September 19, 2011 9:00 am

Dear Friends,
    I am sorry if someone was upset at my comments about Iowa basketball, but I am old as dirt, and I can’t remember Iowa being a consistent basketball power in the Big Ten, let alone, national championships. I stick by my comment, about wrestling. Iowa has won national championships in that sport, and probably draws more fans than some basketball programs across America.

• Robert permalink
      September 19, 2011 9:58 am

Well, Iowa hasn’t been good for a very long time, but they do have a strong tradition in basketball. It’s been very frustrating for some of us Hawkeye “older than dirt” fans. We think we have the right coach in place now in Fran McCaffery. Optimism for Hawkeye basketball hasn’t been higher in many many years.

5. cory permalink
    May 15, 2012 2:40 pm

I seen the same article that listed Iowa as an top 10 college basketball dynasty but couldn’t find it again. We haven’t been very good the last decade but Mccaffery is bringing us back to the top!

6. Kenneth Barna permalink
    May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Dear Friends,
    Having checked Iowa’s all-time Big Ten Record, standing at 682 wins and 697 losses, doesn’t give me the impression that they are a ‘strong’ basketball tradition, or that they are a top ten basketball dynasty. I get the feeling that someone is trying to pull the wool over on us.

Trackbacks